The Village Baker
An exciting Bake-Off for kids ages 5-12. Tasty treats just got a whole lot more exciting!
"The Village Baker" is a baking competition for kids, ages 5-12. Junior Bakers (contestants) will make their best treats at home to be brought in on date of event, TBA. Their treats will be tasted and judged by our very selective panel of food critics.
The Village Baker winner will be selected based on:
More About the Event:
There will be 20+ judges who will grade each contestant. These judges will be awarding points for the categories listed above.
It is the contestant's responsibility to have 20 portions for the judges to taste. These portions do not have to be a full-size baked good. For example, if a contestant has made cupcakes, the cupcakes can be portioned into quarters. However, it is required for each contestant to have full size baked goods displayed at their table.
Awards will be presented on the day of the event in all categories, including the OVERALL WINNER. The Overall winner will not only receive an award, but will have the opportunity to display and sell his/her baked goods at THE VILLAGE STORE (Gilford) for one week. Proceeds that are made at the Village Store will be given to the contestant. The display at the Village Store will highlight the winning contestant, with pictures, and information about him/her.
All contestants will receive a "Village Baker" Apron.
Award winners will receive a plaque for their accomplishment.
1. Parent Involvement- The kids are responsible for creating their product. Parents can work with their kids with planning, and using potentially dangerous kitchen appliances (i.e. Stove, mixers, etc.). All product decoration must be done by the contestant.
2. The product must be a baked good or dessert. It is the contestants responsibility to have enough product for all judges to taste. If you run out of product on the day of the event, judges will not be able to give you a score. We ask that the portions you give to the judges are small, and can be consumed in 1-2 bites.
3. Each contestant will have an 8ft rectangular table at their event. It is the contestants responsibility to decorate their table as they wish. Presentation of their product is a category they will be judged on. Contestants must be present for the entire event on Sept 28th.
4. The overall winner will have a designated area at the Village Store to decorate and sell his/her product for one week in October. On the first day, there will be a presentation at the store for family, friends, and media. The display will feature the winner's product, and it is the winner's responsibility to package his/her product, and to decorate the designated area. It is also the winner's responsibility to keep that area stocked with product during the week. All product proceeds will be awarded to the winner.
5. There is a $10.00 registration fee for all contestants. All contestants must be pre-registered. Payment due on day of contest.
6. A complete list of rules will be sent to you prior to the event.
About the Categories
Taste- Judges will grade by how much they enjoy the product, the freshness, and texture
Execution- Judges will grade based on degree of difficulty, overall look of the product, and technique
Presentation- Judges will grade based on overall display including table set-up. Judges may also may ask questions regarding the product...Contestants ability to talk about the product can be a factor.